What to Store in High Kitchen Cabinets
High kitchen cabinets are a valuable asset in any kitchen design. They provide ample storage space for items that are not frequently used or require extra protection. However, deciding what to store in these cabinets can be a daunting task. To help you make the most of your high kitchen cabinets, here are some ideas on what to store and organize in them.
1. Seasonal items: High cabinets are perfect for storing seasonal items such as holiday decorations, festive tableware, and special occasion serving dishes. These items are not used every day, so keeping them out of reach but easily accessible is a great way to declutter your kitchen.
2. Bulk items: If you buy groceries in bulk, high cabinets are an ideal solution for storing items like extra canned goods, pasta, rice, and snacks. By keeping these items up high, you free up precious counter and lower cabinet space for everyday use.
3. Small appliances: High cabinets are an excellent spot for small appliances that are not used regularly, such as slow cookers, food processors, and blenders. This way, they are out of the way but still within reach when needed.
4. Specialty cookware: If you have specialty cookware like a wok, fondue set, or deep fryer, high cabinets provide the perfect storage space. Since these items are not used every day, it makes sense to keep them in a less accessible area.
5. Glassware: High cabinets are a safe spot for storing delicate glassware, such as wine glasses or champagne flutes. By keeping them up high, you reduce the risk of accidental breakage and can maintain a clutter-free countertop.
6. Extra serving dishes: High cabinets are an excellent option for storing extra serving dishes, platters, and trays. These items are typically used only during special occasions or when entertaining guests, so having them tucked away in high cabinets keeps them in pristine condition until needed.
7. Baking supplies: High cabinets are a convenient storage solution for baking supplies like cake pans, cookie sheets, and muffin tins. By keeping them up high, you can save valuable lower cabinet space for more frequently used items.
8. Cleaning supplies: If you have children or pets, storing cleaning supplies in high cabinets is a safety precaution. It keeps potentially harmful chemicals out of reach, ensuring a safe environment for everyone in the kitchen.
9. Rarely used appliances: High cabinets are also perfect for storing appliances that are rarely used, like ice cream makers, bread machines, or juicers. These appliances can take up a lot of counter space, so keeping them stored away in high cabinets helps maintain a clean and clutter-free kitchen.
10. Party supplies: High cabinets are an excellent place to store party supplies such as paper plates, cups, napkins, and decorations. By keeping them up high, you can save valuable lower cabinet space for everyday items.
11. Extra pantry storage: If you have a small pantry or limited shelf space, high cabinets can be used as an extension of your pantry. Store non-perishable items like canned goods, snacks, and baking ingredients in these cabinets to maximize your pantry storage.
1. Are high kitchen cabinets difficult to reach?
No, high kitchen cabinets are designed to be easily accessible with the help of step stools or pull-out shelves.
2. Can I store heavy items in high kitchen cabinets?
It is not recommended to store heavy items in high cabinets as it may pose a risk of falling or causing damage.
3. How do I organize items in high kitchen cabinets?
Use labeled storage bins, dividers, and adjustable shelving to maximize space and keep items organized.
4. Can I store fragile items in high kitchen cabinets?
Yes, high cabinets are a safe place to store fragile items, especially glassware and delicate dishes.
5. Should I install lighting in high kitchen cabinets?
Installing LED lights inside high cabinets can help improve visibility, making it easier to locate stored items.
6. How do I clean high kitchen cabinets?
Use a step stool or ladder to reach high cabinets, and clean them with a mild detergent and a soft cloth.
7. Can I store food in high kitchen cabinets?
It is not recommended to store perishable food items in high cabinets as they may spoil or attract pests.
8. Are high kitchen cabinets more expensive than standard ones?
High kitchen cabinets may cost more due to their size and additional features like pull-out shelves or lighting.
9. Can I install high kitchen cabinets myself?
It is possible to install high kitchen cabinets yourself if you have the necessary tools and experience.
10. How do I prevent items from falling out of high kitchen cabinets?
Use non-slip shelf liners or install shelf guards to prevent items from falling out of high cabinets.
11. Can I store pots and pans in high kitchen cabinets?
It is not recommended to store heavy pots and pans in high cabinets as they may be difficult to reach and pose a safety risk.