How to Tell if Toilet Is Elongated or Round
When it comes to selecting a new toilet for your bathroom, there are a few factors to consider. One of the most important decisions is whether to choose an elongated or round toilet bowl. The shape of the bowl can affect comfort and fit, so it’s essential to determine which option is best for your needs. Here are some tips to help you determine if a toilet is elongated or round:
1. Measure the bowl: The easiest way to determine if a toilet is elongated or round is to measure the bowl. Use a measuring tape to measure the distance from the center of the mounting bolts at the back of the toilet to the front edge of the bowl. If the measurement is around 16.5 inches, it’s likely a round toilet. If it measures around 18.5 inches, it’s probably an elongated toilet.
2. Check the shape: Take a close look at the shape of the toilet bowl. Elongated toilets have an oval shape, with a longer, more extended bowl. Round toilets, on the other hand, have a circular shape, with a shorter, more compact bowl.
3. Consider the seat size: The size of the toilet seat can also provide a clue about the bowl shape. Elongated toilets typically have larger seats compared to round toilets. If the seat is wider and longer, it’s likely an elongated toilet.
4. Look for labeling: Manufacturers often label their toilets as “elongated” or “round” for easy identification. Check the product description or packaging for this information. If you’re shopping online, the product specifications should clearly state the bowl shape.
5. Seek professional advice: If you’re still unsure, consult a professional. Plumbers or bathroom fixture experts can easily identify the bowl shape and help you make the right choice.
FAQs about Toilet Shape:
1. Does the shape of the toilet bowl affect comfort?
Yes, the shape of the toilet bowl can affect comfort. Elongated toilets offer more surface area and provide better support for the thighs, making them more comfortable for most people.
2. Are elongated toilets more expensive?
Elongated toilets tend to be slightly more expensive than round toilets due to their larger size and increased material usage.
3. Can I install an elongated toilet in a small bathroom?
Yes, you can install an elongated toilet in a small bathroom, but it may take up more space than a round toilet. Measure your bathroom carefully to ensure it will fit properly.
4. Are round toilets suitable for children?
Round toilets are generally more suitable for children due to their smaller size. However, elongated toilets can also work well if your child is comfortable using them.
5. Can I switch from a round to an elongated toilet without changing the plumbing?
In most cases, you can switch from a round to an elongated toilet without changing the plumbing. The mounting dimensions are typically the same, but double-check before making the switch.
6. Do elongated toilets flush better than round toilets?
The flushing performance of a toilet is not solely dependent on the bowl shape. Factors such as the design and quality of the flushing mechanism also play a significant role.
7. Are elongated toilets more hygienic?
Both elongated and round toilets can be equally hygienic if properly cleaned and maintained. It’s essential to clean all parts of the toilet bowl thoroughly, regardless of its shape.
8. Can I use a round seat on an elongated toilet?
No, round seats are not compatible with elongated toilets. The seat should match the shape of the bowl for proper fit and comfort.
9. Are elongated toilets more accessible for people with mobility issues?
Elongated toilets can be more accessible for people with mobility issues as they provide a larger seating area and are easier to get on and off.
10. Do all toilet manufacturers offer elongated and round options?
Most toilet manufacturers offer both elongated and round options, but it’s always a good idea to check the available options before making a purchase.
11. Can I replace a round toilet with an elongated toilet without changing the floor?
In most cases, you can replace a round toilet with an elongated toilet without changing the floor. However, keep in mind that the new toilet’s footprint may be slightly different, so check the dimensions before installation.
In conclusion, determining whether a toilet is elongated or round is essential for choosing the right toilet for your bathroom. By measuring the bowl, checking the shape, and considering the seat size, you can easily identify which option is best suited for your needs. Consulting professionals and reading product labels can also provide further guidance in making an informed decision.