Select Page
Get Cash From Your Home Equity   See Rates >

NMLS # 1136 and T&C apply

How to Get Spouse Out of House During Divorce

Divorce is an emotionally challenging process, and one of the most pressing concerns for couples going through a separation is determining who gets to stay in the family home. When tensions escalate, it may become necessary to seek legal measures to have your spouse vacate the premises. Here are some steps to consider when trying to get your spouse out of the house during a divorce:

1. Consult with an attorney: Before taking any legal actions, it is crucial to consult with a divorce attorney who can guide you through the process and provide advice tailored to your specific situation.

2. Review the ownership of the house: Determine whether the house is jointly owned or solely in your spouse’s name. Joint ownership may complicate matters, but it does not necessarily prevent you from seeking your spouse’s eviction.

3. File a motion for exclusive possession: In certain jurisdictions, you can file a motion with the court requesting exclusive possession of the family home. This motion asks the court to grant you the right to live in the house and require your spouse to move out.

4. Prove legitimate reasons: To increase your chances of success, you will need to provide legitimate reasons why your spouse should be removed from the house. This may include instances of domestic violence, emotional abuse, or concerns for the well-being of children.

5. Gather evidence: Collect any evidence that supports your case, such as police reports, medical records, or witness statements. This evidence can strengthen your argument and demonstrate the necessity of your spouse’s removal.

See also  Why Does My Toilet Whistle When It Refills

6. Consider a restraining order: If you fear for your safety or the safety of your children, obtaining a restraining order can be crucial. This legal measure can require your spouse to stay away from the family home, ensuring your protection.

7. Mediation or negotiation: Before resorting to legal action, consider mediation or negotiation with your spouse. These alternatives can help you reach a mutually agreeable solution regarding the living arrangements during the divorce.

8. Temporary orders: In some cases, the court may issue temporary orders that dictate who can reside in the family home during the divorce proceedings. Discuss this option with your attorney to determine the best course of action.

9. Move out voluntarily: If you find that the situation in the home is becoming untenable, you may choose to move out voluntarily. However, consult your attorney beforehand to ensure this decision does not impact your legal rights during the divorce.

10. Seek financial support: If your spouse is the primary income earner and you are financially dependent, you may be entitled to financial support during the divorce. Discuss this with your attorney to ensure you can afford alternative living arrangements.

11. Maintain civility: Throughout the process, it is essential to maintain civility and avoid confrontations with your spouse. These actions could negatively impact your case and the overall divorce proceedings.

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. Can I change the locks to keep my spouse out of the house?
Changing the locks without a court order may be seen as illegal eviction, and it is generally advised to consult your attorney before taking such action.

See also  Why Do I Have Big Black Flies in My House

2. Can my spouse force me out of the house?
Your spouse cannot unilaterally force you out of the house unless there are legal reasons to do so. The court will ultimately decide who gets to stay in the family home during the divorce.

3. What if my spouse refuses to leave?
If your spouse refuses to leave the house, you may need to seek a court order to have them evicted. Consult your attorney to initiate the necessary legal proceedings.

4. Can I request exclusive possession if the house is jointly owned?
Yes, you can still request exclusive possession, even if the house is jointly owned. The court will consider various factors to determine the most appropriate arrangement.

5. How long does it take to get a court order for exclusive possession?
The timeline for obtaining a court order for exclusive possession can vary depending on the jurisdiction and the complexity of the case. Your attorney can provide an estimate based on your specific circumstances.

6. Can I claim exclusive possession if I have children?
Having children can strengthen your case for exclusive possession, especially if you can demonstrate that it is in their best interest to remain in the family home.

7. Can I force my spouse out of the house if they have nowhere else to go?
If your spouse has nowhere else to go, it may complicate the process of having them leave the house. The court will consider the circumstances and may provide alternative arrangements for housing.

8. Can I be forced to pay for alternative housing for my spouse?
In certain cases, the court may require you to contribute to the cost of alternative housing for your spouse if they cannot afford it themselves. This depends on various factors, including the financial situation of both parties.

See also  Why Won’t My Toilet Stop Flushing

9. What if my spouse is violent or abusive?
If you fear for your safety or the safety of your children, it is crucial to seek legal protection immediately. Contact your attorney and local authorities to ensure your well-being.

10. Will removing my spouse from the house affect child custody arrangements?
The court will consider various factors when determining child custody arrangements, and the living situation of each parent is one of them. However, it is essential to consult with your attorney to understand how specific actions may impact your case.

11. Can I request exclusive possession if I am the primary income earner?
Being the primary income earner does not guarantee exclusive possession, but it may be a relevant factor considered by the court. The final decision will depend on the circumstances of your case.